All You Need is Vitamin Sea - Maui, Hawai'i - Part II
Hi everyone, welcome back to my travel blog :) I hope you’re all having a great Presidents’ Day Weekend (and yay for four days off of school!) Even though many of you are probably skiing in snowy Tahoe, this week I’m taking you back to the island of Maui.
Last week we talked about Maui’s beaches and food. But, there are obviously tons of other fun activities for you to try. Keep reading to find out about some of my recommendations!
- Haleakala National Park: This scenic national park is a major tourist destination on Maui, but it is also a truly unforgettable experience. “Haleakala” literally means “the house of the sun”. From its name, you might have already guessed this, but Haleakala Crater is an amazing place to watch sunrises or sunsets. Stargazing, hiking, biking, and horseback riding are other popular activities at Haleakala. Click here to learn more, and click here for information about reservations/availability.
(Sunset from Haleakala...wow! - Picture via Google Images)
- Snorkeling in Molokini Crater: Just off of Maui’s coast is a crescent-shaped “islet” known as Molokini Crater. Today, it is a place for snorkeling, scuba diving, and SNUBA, and it’s famous for its crystal-clear water and abundance of marine life. People have to take boats to arrive at Molokini Crater, and there are many different companies that provide this service. My family and I rode with Four Winds II. In all honesty, I didn’t love the experience. Personally, I think that Hanauma Bay in O’ahu is much more fun - you can snorkel and see tons of fish without having to take a boat. However, if you’re interested in a more organized/touristy snorkel adventure and do not mind a boat ride, then I would suggest giving it a try! Click here for some other catamaran companies.

(Aerial View of Molokini Crater - Picture via Google Images)
- Whale Watching: From about November to May every year, people can see North Pacific Humpback Whales migrating through the warm Hawaiian water. During these seasons, tons of people board boat tours, hoping to spot some of the whales. I went on a whale watching boat with my cousins the first time we visited Maui. I don’t remember very much, but here’s what I do know: we saw several whales’ blows and tails (and even a breach, I think!), but we also all got seasick. Keep this in mind, if you’re considering going whale watching (because seriously, it’s really pretty amazing, until you start feeling sick). Click here for some great information about whales, whale watching in Maui, and more!
- Road to Hana: Spectacular views and lots of driving are two of the most common descriptions for the Road to Hana. I’ve actually never been to Hana, but my dad remembers several one-way bridges and twisty roads from his visit when he was a kid. In spite of this, I’ve heard some great things and seen some incredible pictures of Hana. Click here for information about the best sights!
(Upper Waikani or "Three Bears" Waterfall on the Road to Hana - Picture via Google Images)
- State Parks: Maui has some of the most beautiful state parks in the country. I visited ‘Iao Valley State Monument the last time I was in Maui. It has a plethora of lush Hawaiian plants and is a very short/easy walk. Click here for a guide to Maui’s best parks.
('Iao Valley State Monument)



Comments
Post a Comment